Post Judgement; Contempts & Modifications

Advocacy You Can Rely on Even After Your Divorce Orders are Finalized

When a divorce decree is final, most people breathe a sigh of relief. And for good reason! You’ve faced one of the most significant life stressors possible, and you’ve put in a good deal of time, thought, and hard work into ensuring that you and your children emerge from this process comfortable and secure. You recognize that a bright and hopeful future is possible.

If only every divorce could end with the parties never looking back! Unfortunately, our lives change as we pursue our goals. Perhaps you are offered a significant promotion into the position of your dreams…on the other side of the country. Or your former spouse finds that the parenting schedule interferes with their employment or hobbies or simply stops participating.

When obstacles arise, you have options. A modification allows you to change the plan to fit the needs of your life and those of your children. A contempt order can help you enforce an existing agreement and ensure you protect your rights and those of your children.


A change of custody, alimony, or child support may occur only when one or both parents can show that there has been a significant change of circumstances, so that the current order no longer supports the best interests of the child or children. Examples of changes that commonly form the basis of modification requests include:

  • A change in a parent’s work schedule that negatively affects their ability to adhere to the parenting plan
  • Evidence that the child is struggling with a parenting plan, including demonstrating falling grades, stress, anxiety, depression
  • Evidence that the child has been neglected or abused in the care of either parent, whether physically, mentally, emotionally, or sexually
  • The party paying alimony or support has had a substantial change (increase or decrease) in income
  • The party receiving alimony has found a new job or is receiving an increased income
  • The party receiving alimony has begun to co-habitate
  • The party receiving alimony has relocated or moved
  • Extraordinary medical expenses or disability have occurred for either parent or a child


Connecticut courts define civil contempt as occurring “when a person violates an order of court which requires that person,” in specific terms, to do or to stop doing a specific act. A divorce order that details the requirements for child support, child custody, and alimony is a court order – which means that if the other person doesn’t meet their obligations under that order, you may be able to seek a contempt judgment to ensure those rules are followed.

Whether you need help deciding whether divorce is right for you, or you need help modifying or enforcing a divorce order, we’re here to help. Contact us to discuss all your options and begin the process of getting your orders updated to reflect your needs.